Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, even if you disagree with the author. While abuse will not be accepted or published, I feel strongly that open, honest and civil discourse is the heart of our government.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thinking Outside the Box

Since June, I have been asked more than once what it is that sets me apart from the other candidate(s).  There are many responses to that question that are expected, anticipated and even customary.  What sets me apart from the other candidate though are life experiences.

I was raised by a father who wanted his six daughters to know that they could do anything.  Daughters who would be able to trust their own judgement and not be afraid to think and act.  We were taught to look at issues, to examine any given situation from all sides identifying pros and cons and all possible outcomes.  We were taught to educate ourselves before expressing an opinion and to gain information from as many sources as possible.  We were also taught that no matter how hard we tried, we would never know everything, but we could know people we could turn to for advice.  We were also taught to take accountability for our actions and not to shirk responsibility.

I was raised in a small community in Northern Utah surrounded by aunts, uncles, cousins, and my grandmother.  We raised chickens, cows, pigs, rabbits, geese and horses.  Our family was responsible for the garden that fed all the extended family.  In the spring we would plant.  In the summer we were responsible for the weeding and watering.  And when harvest time came, we would spend hours picking, preparing and canning.  I have many good memories of these years as we came together as multiple generations and told stories while we worked together to provide for ourselves.

When I married my husband, we moved to various locations across the country; first for school at Utah State University and then as he served in the military.  During this time, the lessons I had learned in my parents' home served me as I was often left alone with our sons, even moving us to the next duty location as Rick fulfilled his assignments.  In each new location, I found myself involved in the community where we lived through volunteer and service opportunities.  I was also given assignments as the wife of an executive officer in supporting and providing services to the military families.

Following this period in our lives, we moved back to Northern Utah to be near family.  There I continued my volunteer efforts, worked for Ogden City and operated my own business.  Eventually, Rick's career path brought us to Southern Utah, where again I found opportunities to volunteer and worked for the City of Hurricane where my experience with Ogden City helped me serve as the Code Enforcement Officer for the city.  Through the years, I have served as a fund raiser, grant writer and event organizer.  I have served as a member on many committees and chaired many others.  I have had experience cheering with individuals as they succeeded and comforting others in times of trial.

Through my life I have learned that as a person, I need to be open to change.  A favorite saying is "If you always do what you've always done, you will always be what you have always been."  To me, this means that if you don't like where you are going, don't just complain, but find a way to change; whether that is location, position or attitude or a combination of multiple things.  But as you look to change, you cannot lose perspective on those things that deserve preserving.

Back to the original question: What sets me apart from the other candidate?

I have had experience working and volunteering in various government agencies.  I have seen ideas that have worked and others that have backfired or not completely achieved a desired result.  I have asked questions and learned how my part fit into the whole of the organization.  As I operated my own business, I was able to significantly increase sales as I listened to and responded to customers needs.  I was able to develop a good working relationship with the citizens of Hurricane as I treated them with respect and listened to their concerns while I served as the Code Enforcement Officer and on the Emergency Management committee.

I have developed a greater understanding of that lesson taught to me by my father - working together as a team and listening to one another will achieve the best results.

The City of La Verkin is at a pivotal point in its growth.  We can continue as we are and push our issues down the road or we can look for those changes that need to be made to move us forward, while protecting the things in our community that make La Verkin such a unique and special place to live.  No policy, structure, procedure or ordinance should be exempt from review.

Currently our city has over $3million in debt that will need to be repaid.  A majority of our commercial properties sit vacant while many of our residents are unemployed or under-employed and struggle to make ends meet.  We also face needed improvements and repairs to our infrastructure (water, drainage and roads), as well as our public facilities (community buildings and parks).  The city's current revenues do not cover the expenses and our savings are almost gone resulting in necessary projects being postponed or delayed until methods of funding can be identified.

To move the City forward will take leadership that will work with the council, staff and citizen committees; form partnerships with neighboring communities and other local agencies; work to build bridges where none currently exist and be able to think outside the box.  I have a proven history of working with a variety of individuals, of identifying problems and working to find solutions and then implementing those solutions.  My experiences in life have given me the unique skills necessary to lead our community forward to its promising future.

You can review my resume by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment